A Brief History of Lexus
In 1983, Toyota chairman Eiji Toyota issued a challenge to make the world’s best car. The project, titled F1, was completed in 1989 with the Lexus LS 400, which was praised for its quietness, engine performance, and fuel economy. Lexus was launched as Toyota’s luxury brand in 1986. The name comes from the name Alexis, which was a front-runner in potential names but was modified so it would not be associated with the character Alexis Carrington in in the popular 1980s drama Dynasty. The original Lexus slogan became “The Relentless Pursuit of Perfection“.
During its first year of sales in 1990, Lexus sold 63,594 vehicles in the United States. In 1991, Lexus was ranked highest in J.D. Power and Associates’ studies on initial vehicle quality, customer satisfaction and sales satisfaction for the first time. That same year, Lexus launched its first sports coupe, the SC 400, as well as its ES 300 sedan, which became the brand’s bestseller. Lexus debuted its first sport utility vehicle, the LX 450, in 1996 and its first luxury-branded crossover SUV, the RX 300 in 1998. In 1999, Lexus also recorded its 1 millionth vehicle sold in the U.S. market, being ranked as the top-selling premium car maker in the U.S. overall. By 2003, Lexus had sold its two millionth vehicle in the United States and released the first luxury-branded production hybrid SUV. In 2005, Lexus completed an organizational separation from parent company Toyota, with dedicated design, engineering, training, and manufacturing centers working exclusively for the division.
Lexus vehicles are widely adored because of their superior comfort and ergonomic design, smooth and easy driving, dependability, fuel efficiency, innovation and more. Here is a comprehensive list of some of Lexus’ diverse models:
- IS: At Lexus, IS stands for “intelligent sport.” The IS is Lexus’ compact, entry-level sport sedan.
- ES: This is Lexus’ best-selling non-SUV model in the United States and is known for its reliability and value.
- GS: The GS is Lexus’s sportier, more expensive midsize luxury sedan.
- LS: Lexus’ fullship luxury sedan that was the first model that emerged from Lexus in 1989.
- UX: New for the 2019 model year, the UX, or “Urban Explorer,” is a subcompact luxury crossover.
- NX: The Lexus NX is a compact SUV that shares some DNA with Toyota’s best-selling RAV4 crossover.
- RX: Lexus’ best-selling model in the United States, the RX is a midsize crossover SUV.
- GX: The Lexus GX debuted during the 2010 model year. It’s a traditional midsize SUV with body-on-frame construction, full-time four-wheel-drive and third-row seating.
- LX: Lexus’ full-size luxury SUV that debuted in 2008.
- RC: The Lexus RC is a two-door coupe that debuted for the 2015 model year.
Your Trusted Auto Repair Shop
Known as the modern luxury car, Luxury has a large range of models that require extensive services. When the time comes to bring your Lexus in for repairs, Columbus residents can come to Clintonville Automotive Repair Service. We specialize in Lexus repair and can take care of your car, bumper to bumper. A team of highly trained mechanics, we at Clintonville Automotive Repair Service are up to date on the latest automotive technology and will deliver high-quality service, every time. We offer services in vehicle alignment, steering and suspension, transmission repair, and more. Don’t hesitate to schedule an appointment with us today! You can schedule an appointment online or give us a call at 614-300-2995.